Historians believe that lavender originated in the Middle East and the Mediterranean, and traces of this fragrant plant were found in the tomb of the Ancient Egyptian King Tutankhamun. Today, this calming plant is grown worldwide for its calming fragrance and therapeutic and spiritual benefits.
Due to the beauty and diversity of this plant, many celebrities, poets, and authors wrote inspiring and uplifting quotes about it. I’ve gathered some of these quotes and will gladly share them with you in this article.
History of Lavender
Lavender was celebrated in several cultures, especially in the Ancient Greek and Roman civilizations, where it was used in baths and as an aphrodisiac. There was also a legend about how the plant first grew when two thugs once chased a beautiful girl. When they were about to catch her, she fell to the ground and cried.
Blue and purple flowers grew from her tears, and the plant’s branches covered the girl’s body. Then, the two men ran away. As a result, people believed that using lavender oil would keep the wearer chaste, and the plant was considered a symbol of purity.
Studies show that the Romans were probably the ones who brought lavender to Europe, where it became a staple in European and, specifically, English gardens. Many homeowners grow the lavender plant as an edging plant or to create hedges where it can add some privacy. It can also be used as an accent plant or grown in containers to repel bugs and insects.
Lavender can be grown in several locations if you have well-draining soil and lots of sun. You can also grow it in an indoor container near a south-facing window where it can receive bright sunlight.
The essential oil extracted from lavender has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects. It can be used to treat bug bites and burns, and breathing the oil reduces the symptoms of depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Meaning and Significance of Lavender
In the spiritual sense, lavender is associated with the meanings of purity, calmness, grace, and devotion. The purple color of the plant has long been associated with royalties, which makes lavender symbolize elegance and luxury.
Seeing lavender in a dream is usually associated with happiness, romance, and healing. The dream interpretation is related to how you see lavender in your dream. For example, if you see a lavender field, your dream might urge you to seek more balance in your life. Sending or receiving lavender means you’ll give or receive a pleasant surprise.
Since the plant tolerates several soil conditions, lavender can be linked to tolerance and resilience as it can survive in harsh weather and locations where other plants struggle to grow.
Thanks to its healing properties, lavender can be linked to the meanings of health, renewal, and calmness. The plant grows in the harshest conditions and regrows after a period of dormancy, and it can symbolize a period of growth and development after stagnancy.
Lavender is one of the most popular massage oils. It can be used to calm the mind and the body. The plant can be used in a warm compress to treat menstrual cramps, muscle cramps, and migraines.
Why Are Lavender Quotes So Popular?
There are lots of notable quotes about lavender in literature and pop culture. These quotes can also be linked to the traditional and spiritual symbolism of the plant.
So, if you’re looking for an inspirational quote to calm someone you know and you’re unable to send them an actual lavender plant, you can definitely share one of these quotes with them. For years, this fragrant herb was associated with the meanings of purity and love, and the quotes can help deliver your message.
The quotes can be the plant itself and how it adds beauty to any setup, the color, or the fragrance of lavender. Whatever you’re looking for, you can definitely find an inspiring quote to share in your Instagram story, send to someone you love, or keep to yourself for motivation.
Many people, including myself, believe that quotes about lavender share the same energetic properties of the plant itself. So, if you’re feeling anxious, worried, stressed, or confused, reading these quotes will fill your energetic space with calmness, reassurance, and confidence.
This is why these quotes can be part of your daily affirmations or meditation. You can always focus on the meaning of the plant and speak its power into existence by reflecting on the quotes as part of your mindfulness practices.
Anonymous Quotes About Lavender
I’m unsure who said the following lavender quotes, but I know they can be highly inspiring. You can print some of these quotes and hang them over your desk or frame them with pictures of a lavender plant to boost their meaning. You can also dry some lavender and create a DIY project where some of these quotes surround the inspiring plant.
These quotes talk about the plant, the fragrant blooms, the color, and the spiritual meaning of lavender. Focusing on these quotes can help you feel relaxed and calm after a long day.
- Lavender is the color of serenity, the fragrance of peace.
- If I were a flower, I would be lavender.
- Amidst the chaos, lavender brings serenity to the heart.
- Let the serene aura of lavender transport you to a place of inner peace.
- Breathe in the serenity of lavender and exhale the worries of the day.
- Lavender whispers serenity to the soul.
- I want to be like the lavender in a field of wheat: quiet and unassuming, yet impossible to ignore.
- In a world full of roses, be a lavender.
- Learn from lavender flowers. They sacrifice themselves to make someone cheerful.
- Like lavender, I want to make this world beautiful with my deeds.
- Lavender is the color of sweet memories.
- The serene essence of lavender gently restores peace within.
- Lavender, the key to unlocking serenity within.
- The soft scent of lavender soothes and heals the soul.
- Lavender and lace, a delicate grace.
- I am deserving of love, kindness, and compassion, just like the lavender that blooms in the fields.
- Mother Nature has the best shades of purple.
- Lavender is the queen of herbs.
- Lavender – the color and scent of relaxation, youthfulness, creativity, imagination, and optimism.
- Lavender: a gentle reminder to seek serenity amidst life’s storms.
Famous Quotes About Lavender
For centuries, many authors and poets celebrated the beauty of lavender and its spiritual meaning. As a matter of fact, American pop singer Taylor Swift wrote a famous song called Lavender Haze.
The following famous quotes were said by celebrities, poets, and authors, celebrating the beauty and elegance of lavender. They also highlight the medicinal, spiritual, and energetic powers of the color, the plant, and its blooms.
- Like lavender, I bloom in the most unlikely places. – Atticus
- My lavender, my sun-drenched lavender, its blue petals are spread out and supine. – Anne Sexton
- As a kid, I’d play with homemade recipes, like putting pineapple on my face to exfoliate my skin and doing facial steams with lavender or peppermint oils. I just loved doing stuff like that. It’s what motivated me to launch my skincare line. – Demi Lovato
- Hot lavender, mints, savory, marjoram; The marigold, that goes to bed wi’ the sun, and with him rise weeping. – William Shakespeare
- Lavender is the new pink. I’ll never stop wearing pink, but I wanted to venture out. – Nicki Minaj
- One trick I swear by: I pour a little neroli or lavender oil onto a hot towel and use it to wipe off my makeup. It opens up my pores, and then my face cream sinks in better. – Courtney Cox.
- Under a lavender sky, we lie. Do you, do you remember the day? – Ray LaMontagne
- My favorite name for a color is “puce.” It’s kind of a dried blood color. It’s a hideous color. But I love the word. It’s so euphoric. But my favorite colors are lavender, purple, periwinkle blue, and white. – Elizabeth Taylor
- Forgiveness is the smell that lavender gives out when you tread on it. – Mark Twain
- To make a perfume, take some rose water and wash your hands in it, then take a lavender flower and rub it with your palms, and you will achieve the desired effect. – Leonardo da Vinci
- Lavender in the hut, fertility beads under the mattress, a dreamcatcher by the plunge pool, oyster appetizers every afternoon, and a Michael Bolton love mix. – Rachel Van Dyken
- Avoid men who call you Baby, and women who have no friends, and dogs that scratch at their bellies and refuse to lie down at your feet. Wear dark glasses; bathe with lavender oil and cool fresh water. Seek shelter from the sun at noon. – Alice Hoffman
- And lavender, whose spikes of azure bloom shall be, ere-while, in arid bundles bound to lurk amidst the labors of her loom, and crown her kerchiefs with mickle rare perfume. – William Shenstone
We can learn so much from reflecting on the world around us. Lavender is one of the many miracles of nature, and appreciating its beauty can teach us about ourselves and the universe we live in.
The quotes I shared in this article are written by people who come from all walks of life, and they all appreciate the beauty of this fragrant herb. So, if you want to read something inspiring, I’m glad I was able to help.